Frequently Asked Questions for Boys Basketball
- How is CYO basketball different from other leagues?
- What are the 2012-2013 fees for CYO Boys Basketball?
- What are the major dates for the 2012-2013 Season?
- When/where can I register?
- What age groups can sign up?
- Does my child have to be Catholic to participate?
- Does my child have to try out?
- When/where do the teams practice?
- How many games does the team play?
- Where are the games held?
- When are the games held?
- Do we have to buy a uniform?
Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) programs serve the needs of all youth and reflect the diversity of the community. CYO offers a safe, fun, yet challenging environment where participating youth may maintain physical health while learning the benefits of teamwork. Emphasis rests not on the number of games won or lost, but on the participants’ attitude in victory or defeat.Our Lady of Guadalupe’s CYO program is one dimension of the church’s total ministry to our community’s youth.
$145 – Basketball Player Registration
$145 – Cheerleaders
$80 – Uniform Lease Fee* (FEE for uniform will be collected at a later date during sizing/distbution)
$50 – “Candy” Fundraiser Buyout (optional)
$20 – Early Bird Discount per player registration (excluding siblings) (valid on 7/28/2012 ONLY)
$25 – Sibling Discount (per sibling)
*Lease Uniform – See “Important Information” Sheet in the registration packet for more information
Early Bird Signups: 7/28/12, 10am – 2pm, OLG School under awning, 7 – 9pm OLG Movie Night
- Regular Signups: 8/11, 8/18 and 8/25, 10am – 2pm, OLG School under awning
- Parent/Family Information Meeting: Thursday, August 30, OLG Church Fremont Site
- Player Evaluations: 1st two weeks of September, dates/times to be announced
- Practices begin the 3rd week September
- 3rd Grade Jamboree: October 28, 2012
- Official Games begin first weekend in November through February
- Playoffs/Championship in March
Early bird signup will be held on 7/28/2012. Please go to the Boys Basketball page for details on times and locations.
Regular signups will be held at Our Lady of Guadalupe School under the awning (8/11, 8/18 and 8/25)
NO registration will be accepted at tryouts.
1. Attend Our Lady of Guadalupe School
2. Attend Our Lady of Guadalupe parish Faith Formation (CCD) classes
3. Live within the parish boundaries (see the Forms and Registration page)
No. The only eligibility requirements are those in the question above.
All players must try out. Teams are divided between two division–A and N. The A division is the higher seed. All players are assessed by the coaches at player evaluations as decided around team draft time, and the A division coach selects first. The A division coach has the option to assess a player who is not present at tryouts at a later time.
Teams typically practice twice a week for 1 – 2 hours depending on age group and gym availability. Practices begin around 5pm and run every 1 – 2 hours. Typically, the earlier practice times are assigned to the younger grades.
Practices are held at local gyms such as Walters Jr. High, Durham Elementary, Grimmer Elementary, Horner Jr. High, etc. Coaches select practice days, times and locations during draft night.
Each team plays 10 games throughout the season. In addition, a coach may sign up a team for tournaments that will provide additional playing time.
The teams play at various locations in the Tri-City area:
Alvarado Middle School, Barnard White, Cesar Chavez Middle School, Chabot Junior College, Corpus Christi, Delaine Eastin, Garin @ Moreau Catholic High School, Holy Spirit Church, James Logan High School, Main @ Moreau Catholic High School, Newark Jr. High, St. Bede
The younger grades usually play at the smaller gyms.
Games are scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays beginning the first weekend in November. No regular season games area held during Thanksgiving weekend. (There may be tournaments.) Games on Saturday may start as early as 9am on Saturdays and starting at noon on Sundays up to as late as 5:45pm. Game schedules vary from season to season depending on the number of teams signed up from the schools in the area.
The uniforms are leased and returned annually. You can find information about our uniform lease program here. The fee to enroll in the Uniform Lease Program for the 2012-2013 season is $80.